Skip Navigation

Waste Disposal

What happens to waste that is put down the drains?  It goes into the Sewage Treatment Plant at the University.  From there it flows into the Long Island Sound.  At the Hospital, we are committed to protecting our natural resources.

Consider the following before ordering any new products, purchasing equipment or preparing a bid:

  • Will the waste that is generated be considered hazardous?
  • Is there a non-hazardous or green product available?
  • When preparing a bid for a service, consider the waste that may be generated.

Stony Brook University Hospital does not dispose of any chemical hazardous waste down the drain, in red regulated medical waste containers or in the trash.  Before disposing of any chemical waste, contact EH&S at (631) 444-6783 for assistance.

chemical wastechemical waste

High Level Disinfectant - Disposal of Glutaraldehyde and Cidex OPA

Pharmaceutical Waste Management (UH Admin P&P, MM0084)

In our efforts to comply with environmental regulations and protect our natural resources, the following guidelines must be followed regarding any pharmaceutical waste:

  • Nitroglycerin, eptifibatide (Integrilin), propofol (Diprivan), and epinephrine waste are collected in labeled and locked waste receptacles in designated areas.
  • Any unused or expired medications is returned to Pharmacy.  Partially used medications are placed in the small 2 gallon black containers, typically in Med Rooms.
  • Disposable items grossly contaminated with a chemotherapy drug are placed in a black chemotherapy collection container (Lawson # 51699).
  • Controlled substances waste is collected in designated containers, typically in Med Rooms.

pharma  pharma