Skip Navigation

Environmental Spill Response

Appropriate actions to take if there is a spill

Any incidental release of a chemical or petroleum product to the ground, open waterway, sanitary sewer, storm drain or air, requires quick action on the part of those involved or anyone who notices the release. If there is a spill, Environmental Health & Safety should be notified during regular business hours.

If the spill is large or if emergency conditions develop as a result of the spill, University Police must be contacted immediately. Promptly reporting and initiating a clean-up will mitigate further damage and prevent potential fines or penalties. EH&S will review the initial response and advise what additional actions are necessary by the campus departments involved. This includes contacting the necessary authorities, dispatching clean-up crews and fulfilling any reporting requirements. 

Large Spills and Other Emergencies

  1. Call University Police
      • 333 from a campus phone
      • (631) 632-3333 from any phone
  2. University Police will contact Environmental Health and Safety
  3. Contain the spill using the appropriate spill control equipment and personal protective equipment (PPE)
      • Spill control materials such as absorbent pads, booms, socks, powder or other materials to prevent spilled material from entering floor drains, storm drains or the ground in unpaved areas
      • Use safety goggles and nitrile gloves while containing the spill
  4. Provide assistance such as information and materials to University Police and Environmental Health and Safety as needed
  5. Provide details to University Police or Environmental Health and Safety as requested

Minor Oil Spills

  1. Initiate a clean-up if the following requirements are met:
      • The spill occurs in a containment area or on concrete or asphalt, and
      • It is less than five gallons, and
      • The spill is cleanable within two hours
  2. Spill debris must be collected and disposed of by contacting Environmental Health and Safety -
      • Oil waste is not municipal waste and must not be disposed of in the garbage
      • For more information about hazardous waste and the procedures that need to be taken, please visit Hazardous Waste
  3. Report the spill to Environmental Health and Safety
  4. Additional assistance can be obtained from:
      • West Campus Physical Plant: x-2-6400; (631) 632-6400
      •  East Campus Physical Plant: x-4-2400; (631) 444-2400