To Report an Emergency
If you become aware of a possible emergency situation, please call University Police at 333 from any campus phone, or dial (631) 632-3333 using a cell phone (for campus emergencies).
The Fire Safety Division of the Department of Environmental Health & Safety is comprised of a Manager of Fire Safety and ten Fire Marshals who serve a population of over 30,000 faculty, staff, students, and guests on the Main Campus, University Hospital and Medical Center, Long Island Veterans Home, Southampton Campus, Manhattan Campus, Research and Development Campus and the Calverton Incubator. The Fire Marshals are New York State certified Code Enforcement Officials, Hazardous Materials Technicians, Technical Rescue certified and Emergency Medical Technicians. Each fire marshal is assigned a geographical area and has additional specialized duties.
- Strict compliance with the New York State Fire Code and Building Code
- Fire safety education for students, faculty and staff members.
- Inspection and testing of all fire detection and suppression systems through life safety inspections.
- Conduct fire drills throughout the campus and evaluate performance.
- Review of new construction and renovation plans to be in compliance with the State Building Code and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards.
- Respond to fire, medical, hazardous material, and technical rescue incidents on campus.
- Inspection and training of the AED program.
- Support other divisions of the department in their efforts.