Chemical Inventory, Storage and Handling
- Each PI/Lab Manager is required to maintain an inventory of chemicals stored and produced in their laboratory.
- Laboratories can use the SBU EHS Chemical Inventory form or any other template that includes full chemical name, CAS number, Manufacturer Name.
- Nitric acid is one of the chemicals of interest regulated by DHS and a separate inventory must be maintained ( Nitric Acid Security Plan).
Chemical Storage and Handling
- Label all chemicals: Make sure all labels are legible and in good condition. Unknown chemicals can be expensive to dispose of.
- Label chemical storage areas.
- Store chemicals in cabinets and on shelving provided for such storage.
- Do not store incompatible chemicals in close proximity to each other.
- Provide secondary containment for liquids that can contain 100 percent of your largest container or 10 percent of total volume whichever is greatest 40 CFR 264.175.
- Avoid storing chemicals in the fume hood or under the sink.
- Keep containers closed unless you are dispensing a chemical or adding to the container.