Principal Investigators and Lab Supervisors
Safety responsibilities for Principal Investigators and Lab Supervisors include:
- Register lab with the EH&S Lab Registration system. Update registration information at least annually.
- Know and implement the guidelines and procedures of the Chemical Hygiene Plan and other EH&S Policies. Include provisions for these policies in grant proposals.
- Write specific operating procedures or protocols for handling and disposing of hazardous materials and equipment used in their laboratories. Ensure written procedures are used by lab staff.
- Train laboratory staff in these operating procedures and ensure the use of proper control measures. All safety training must be documented. The " New Lab Worker Checklist" can be used to document this training.
- Conduct routine inspections of laboratories with their laboratory employees.
- Ensure that all appropriate controls including fume hoods and safety equipment are available and in good working order in their laboratories.
- Ensure that all incidents occurring in their laboratories are reported to EH&S and that a written Incident Report is filed.
- Complete annual inventories of hazardous materials as required in their laboratories and provide them to EH&S.
- Ensure laboratory employee access to Safety Data Sheets (SDSs) and other safety resources.
- Hold lab staff accountable for all safety rules, including the use of appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Comply with the requirements of University Policy P609 Environmental Health & Safety
Lab Safety Coordinator
Each lab group or department needs to appoint someone as Laboratory Safety Coordinator. The Laboratory Safety Coordinator will assist with the implementation of the EH&S Laboratory Safety policies and assists in establishing a safe work environment by collaborating with EH&S, faculty, other researchers and lab personnel. Additional responsibilities include:
- Coordinate laboratory safety and environmental compliance efforts based on EH&S programs.
- Serve as liaison between the laboratory and EH&S in helping maintain safety and regulatory information, including Safety Data Sheets.
- Attend training sessions provided by EH&S, sharing information with department.
- Participates in campus-wide labsafety listserve .
- Distribute safety information to all lab personnel. Communicates information on identified hazards, precautions, and required corrective actions throughout the department.
- Assist EH&S in evaluating program effectiveness.
- Conduct or coordinates periodic laboratory self-inspections.
- Routinely communicate and advise PI, Department Manager/Chair on safety and injury/illness prevention efforts and activities.
- Provide guidance on laboratory safety compliance to other laboratory members.
- Request information and clarification on regulatory requirements from EH&S.
- Assist in responding to any regulatory actions or investigations.
- Participate in the development of the Laboratory Emergency Plans and assists with emergency management planning and response as needed.
- Maintain safety records such as copies of accident reports, lab audits, & fire code violations
- Ensure that lab personnel receive all required EH&S training and lab specific information.
- Oversight that safety conditions in the laboratories are met.
- Assist supervisors in properly investigating and documenting all accidents and injuries.
- Maintain laboratory safety postings.
- Assist in developing, implementing, and communicating departmental safety policies and programs.
- Coordinate laboratory submissions of hazardous materials inventories to EH&S for annual updates and storage relocations.
- Communicate with the Building Manager on facility issues related to safety.