It is unlawful for anyone to apply pesticides at any University property without proper licensing. Applications are only permitted by EH&S licensed personnel and approved contract exterminators.
To report a pest problem online, please choose from the options below:
Main Campus, HSC, BST, R&D Park Campus Residences Southampton
To report a pest problem by phone for these and other areas, please call:
- Campus Residences: Call Quad Office or Maintenance Desk at (631) 632-9585
- Main Campus, HST, BST, R&D Park, Southampton: Call Environmental Health & Safety at (631) 632-6410
- Healthcare Facilities: Call Housekeeping at (631) 444-1460
- Long Island State Veterans Home: Call Environmental Services at (631) 444-8790
Even the most skillful and precise application of pesticides may not solve pest problems. Some pesticides may be necessary and must only be applied by a certified applicator after performing a thorough inspection to identify the pest "target" and determine the cause for the existence or infestation (e.g. poor sanitation, open penetrations, water leaks, etc.).
What can you do?
- Close all screens, windows and doors
- Collect and dispose of all scrap paper, boxes and other debris
- Vacuum and mop floors regularly
- Empty all garbage containers daily
- Inspect plants regularly for pests
- Allow food and beverages in designated areas only
- Prohibit storage of food in desks, file drawers and lockers
- Store food and condiments in tightly sealed containers
- Dispose of all scrap food promptly
- Clean all dishes, appliances and utensils thoroughly and regularly
- Clean behind and underneath appliances, cabinets ...etc.
- Clean and disinfect all surfaces
- Clean and dry all mops, buckets and sponges promptly
- Fix leaking pipes, faucets and other plumbing fixtures
- Clean grease traps and floor drains routinely
- Install weather-stripping and door sweeps
- Caulk walls, floor cracks and crevices
- Install and maintain screens in doors, windows, vents and floor drains
- Keep loading docks clean of food waste, garbage and debris
- Seal pipe chases and other penetrations