Cooking Fire Safety
Cooking is allowed in designated kitchen areas only!
- To prevent a cooking fire in the kitchen:
- Never leave cooking unattended. Unattended cooking is the number one cause of cooking fires.
- Wear short or close-fitting sleeves. Loose clothing can catch fire.
- Clean cooking surfaces to prevent food and grease build-up. Keep curtains, towels and pot holders away from hot surfaces.
- Store solvents and flammable cleaners away from heat sources.
- Turn pan handles inward to prevent accidental spilling.
- Slide a pan lid over flames to smother a grease or oil fire, then turn off the heat and leave the lid in place until the pan cools. Never carry the pan to the sink or outside.
- Only use a dry chemical fire extinguisher on a grease/oil fires. Never use water on grease/oil fires as the fire will spread.
- Close the oven door and shut off the heat to smother an oven or broiler fire.