In the event of a fire, fire alarm or other emergency, the safe, orderly and prompt evacuation of building occupants is our number 1 priority.
Please follow the guidelines below:
If there is a fire or fire alarm:
- If you discover a fire or smoke condition, sound the building fire alarm by activating the nearest pull station and call University Police at (631) 632-3333.
- Exit quickly and calmly
- Know two ways out of your building.
- When leaving your room close the door behind you.
- Never attempt to re-enter the building until the “All Clear” is given.
- Do not use the elevators, use the stairs.
- Avoid using a cell phone or other electronic device during evacuation.
- Avoid congregating in the stairwells causing congestion
- Move at least 25 feet away from the building
- Listen for instructions from Safety Wardens, Fire Marshals or UPD
If you are unable to evacuate due to a temporary or permanent disability:
- Proceed to the nearest stairwell or area of refuge.
- Position yourself so as not to block or impede the pedestrian flow or stairwell access
- Ask a colleague/friend to remain with you.
- Contact University Police (631)632-3333 and advise them of your location
- Remain there until emergency personnel evacuate you or the “All Clear” is given.
o Note : Emergency personnel will only come to your location if it is deemed necessary to evacuate you.
Is the door hot?
- Before opening a door, feel the door, door knob and frame.
- If any feel hot, don't open it! If cool, open the door and evacuate.
- If you encounter smoke while evacuating, crawl or get as low as you can.
I f you can't evacuate due to smoke and/or fire:
- Close all doors between you and the smoke/fire.
- Stuff towels or clothing around doors to try to keep the smoke out.
- Call University Police at (631) 632-3333 or 333 and notify them of your location.
- While waiting for rescuers, signal from a window by hanging clothes out the window, waving an object or shouting.