Laboratory Close-outs and Moves
If you are moving your lab from one location to another or leaving the University, you will need to properly prepare your hazardous materials and equipment so that they can be transported safely.
You must follow the requirements in the Lab Close Out Policy.
This policy addresses any and all laboratory closures due to Lab Director and/or staff vacating the lab due to:
- temporary closure due to rehab/construction;
- permanent closure due to space change from lab to non-lab/office;
- Lab Directors/Principal Investigators leaving the University but staff and materials remaining;
- Lab Directors/Principal Investigators leaving the University and taking all materials
- Lab Directors/Principal Investigators moving the lab operations to a new space within the same department;
- Lab Directors/Principal Investigators moving the lab operations to a new space in a different department.
This Laboratory Close Out Tracking Form should be used to notify EH&S that your lab will vacated.
The Move Manual: A Guide to Relocating Hazardous Materials contains safety guidelines and reference information for the physical relocation of hazardous materials.
Some topics covered in The Move Manual include:
- Planning Your Move
- Preventing and Handling Emergencies
- Handling Hazardous Materials at the Old Location
- Handling Equipment During the Move
- Handling hazardous Materials at the New Location
- After You Move
If you have questions before, during, or after your move, contact Environmental Health and Safety.