What are the "rules"?
- Chemical manufacturers must send an SDS with each new shipment.
- Each area or lab must maintain any SDSs that are received with incoming shipments of hazardous chemicals, and ensure that they are readily accessible to employees.
- All employees must know how to obtain a SDS and must be able to read and understand the information.
- If you ship a chemical sample off campus, a SDS must be sent with package. Use this guideline for writing your own SDS: How to Write a SDS
- Recommend making an SDS book with "TOP 20" chemicals. Keep this book in the work area for emergencies (take to Emergency Department!).
Are there any tutorials that explain how to read an SDS?
Check out these web sites on how to read and understand an SDS: