Skip Navigation

Food Heart        Food Safety    

Caterers other than contracted Stony Brook University dining services must obtain a food permit approved by the Department of Environmental Health and Safety. Food permits are required for all events with an attendance of more than 19 where prepared foods will be served. Food permits must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the event to the Facility Scheduler or Program Advisor. All groups must have a copy of the approved food permit at their event. Caterers must abide by Stony Brook University's exclusive contract with Coca-Cola by using only Coca-Cola company products where applicable.

Campus Community Food Permit

Public Event Notification Form

Food   Safety  Guidance During the COVID-19 Pandemic

The CDC has stated that the risk of getting COVID-19 from   food  you cook yourself or from handling and consuming   food  from restaurants and takeout or drive-thru meals is thought to be very low. Currently, there is no evidence that   food  is associated with spreading the virus that causes COVID-19.

While coronaviruses, like the one that causes COVID-19, are thought to spread mostly person-to-person through respiratory droplets when someone coughs, sneezes, or talks, it is possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object, including   food  or   food  packaging, that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes. 

Therefore, to minimize the risk of transmission of the virus at events where   food  may be served during the COVID-19 Pandemic, the following guidance is provided.

The serving of   food  at events and other gatherings is highly discouraged and should only be considered when it is a necessary part of a program or for events that are long in duration.   

When it is deemed necessary to provide   food  at an event or gathering,   food  should be obtained from Campus Dining  CulinArt Catering Services. Please contact the catering office for any  inquiries or questions regarding your catering needs.    Main Office     (631) 632-6522

We have worked closely with Culinart following guidance from the CDC and Department of Health to create   safe  service procedures taking advantage of the centralized preparation space and minimal travel and handling on campus. Culinart has significant experience supporting a broad range of emergency   food  services and is uniquely qualified in this environment. 

When   food  is served at an event, there must be adequate seating that is appropriately spaced to allow for social distancing while eating.

EH&S will not be approving  Food  Permits  for events using outside caterers, until further notice, due to COVID-19.  Permits are not required for events that use the campus caterer.  Departments and groups are urged to refrain from hosting even small gatherings where   food  is shared from a common point.

For more information, please go to  Food  and Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Related Websites: