The mission of the Waste Management Group is to ensure the proper and safe management (generation, treatment, storage and disposal) of hazardous wastes at Stony Brook University, while applying the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)'s hierarchy of waste minimization: reduce, reuse, and recycle. In addition, the group ensures compliance with federal, state and local regulations on proper handling of hazardous wastes.
Chemical Waste Disposal Manifests
In an effort to reduce paper wastes, EH&S is providing this fillable PDF of the Chemical Waste Disposal Manifest for completing and printing Chemical Waste Disposal Manifests. These can be completed and saved electronically, reducing the burden on labs for maintaining paper copies. Just complete this form and print 1 copy to bring with your waste to the waste collection.
The following is a list of all the services provided by the Waste Management group:
- Advise on proper handling of hazardous wastes.
- Conduct daily scheduled hazardous waste pick ups from all facilities.
- Audit and inspect laboratories and facilities that generate hazardous wastes.
- Implement waste minimization as required by the EPA and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) through various programs.
- Respond and provide technical support during hazardous materials incidents.
- Actively participate as members of the Hazardous Materials Team.
- Report waste management activities to authorities such as the DEC and the Suffolk County Department of Public Works (SCDPW).
All regulated medical and chemical wastes generated in University laboratories and other facilities must be disposed of in accordance to the guidelines and regulations mandated by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC).
- RMW must be packaged in a red bag, placed in a cardboard box, sealed with tape, labeled with the name of the lab and brought to one of the collection areas listed below.
- Chemical waste that is packaged in clean, sealed and labeled containers will also be accepted at the collection sites listed below. Manifests and labels must be completed before wastes are brought to the collection site. Please call Environmental Health & Safety to schedule lab clean-outs or for the removal of wastes that need special handling.
- Don't pour chemicals down the sink or discard with trash.
- Store waste chemicals only in compatible containers. Keep containers closed.
- Attach properly completed hazardous waste labels with date.
- Store containers in a secure area with secondary containment.
- Hazardous waste training is required for all persons handling waste.
- Inspect storage areas weekly.
- Civil and criminal penalties of up to $37,500 per violation, per day and/or up to 5 years in prison for environmental crimes.
Hazardous Waste Collection Calendar ((**UPDATED AND CHANGED, EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 1 2017**))
|Location||Day of month||Time|
|Grad Physics (Physics) at the loading dock||By Request|
|Earth & Space Sciences (ESS) at the loading dock||By Request|
|Incubator (LIHTI) at the side door||Third Monday||1:15-1:45 p.m.|
Engineering (ENG) at the Material Sciences dock
Heavy Engineering is By Request - scheduled before/after ENG pickups
|Life Sciences Building (LSB) at the loading dock||Every Tuesday||1-1:30 p.m.|
|Grad Chemistry (GC) at the loading dock||Every Wednesday||11-11:30 a.m.|
|Health Science Center (HSC) by the freight elevator||First Thursday||17th Floor 1:15-1:45 p.m. 15th Floor 2-2:30 p.m.|
|Basic Science Tower (BST)||Second Thursday||
7th Floor 1:15-1:45 p.m. by the freight elevator
1st Floor 2-2:30 p.m. near DLAR lobby
|Psychology A (Psych A) at the loading dock||By Request|
|School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences (SoMAS) (Dana Hall & Challenger)||Third Tuesday||
10-10:30 a.m. at the Dana Formalin Transfer Room
10:45-11:15 a.m. Challenger South East Exit Door (near room 123)
By Request - For all buildings serviced by request - you can submit a hazardous waste pickup request by e-mailing HazWaste@stonybrook.edu. Include your Building, Floor, Room Number and PI name in your request.